Sometimes it’s hard to find foods that are palatable for my 1-year old – especially at breakfast time. Lately she has simply refused all types of cereal. She LOVES blueberries though. Every day she delights in popping fresh blueberries into her mouth – it’s a bit of a pricey breakfast food here in Australia, with a very small container fetching $6.99!! Well, you certainly wouldn’t want to waste them at that price! So this morning Audrey’s blueberries were starting to look not-so-nice to eat, but still too good to throw away. So I managed to whip up some blueberry muffins while she ate (played with) her breakfast.
- 1-1/2 c Self-Raising Flour
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking soda (bicarb)
- pinch salt
- 3/4 c natural yogurt
- 2 T melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 T water
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 c fresh blueberries
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (sift if you want to – I never do… but like I said, this is the lazy method).
- Use the microwave to melt the butter in a glass measuring cup.
- Add the yogurt, egg, vanilla and water. Give it a good stir.
- Stir the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients (but don’t mix it up too much!!)
- Gently mix in the blueberries.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin and bake for around 15 minutes at 185 degrees C.
About preparing the muffin tins
If you’re lazy like me (or time-poor) use an oil spray to prepare your muffin tins. You will get much nicer, softer muffins if you use paper muffin cases rather than putting them directly in the metal tin. You can make your own from large circles of baking paper.
I haven’t actually tried these yet, so I’m not totally sure they’d work, but in my head they sound nice
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Replace the water with 2 Tbsp lemon juice and add finely grated lemon rind
Healthier-for-you Apple Blueberry muffins
- Replace 1/4 c of the sugar, 2 T of water and 1 T butter with 1 grated apple