In my last post I wrote about how I stayed up really late to create a pair of training pants for Audrey and I also said that if I had time (and if they fit) I would post the pattern today (if I could figure out how to do so). Well, the day has arrived and I’m proud to say that I’ve figured out how to do it! Voila, a download link for a FREE cloth training pants pattern! Please try it out, and let me know if you have any issues putting it together.
There aren’t any instructions on the pdf (yet). I may add some later on when I figure out to do some pattern grading for larger sizes. So until then, here is a very basic set of instructions. Please let me know if I need to clarify any points (this is my first pattern, so I expect to receive some constructive criticism!)
1. Download the pattern and print. When printing, make sure to DE-SELECT “fit to page”
2. Tape the pages together (the dashed lines are there as a reference point so you can easily figure out how the pages go together)
3. Cut out the pattern pieces, trace onto your fabric, and cut out the pieces.
4. Stack the soaker pieces together. Zigzag along the edges. Line up the soaker pad onto the WRONG side of the inner fabric. Use a 3-step zigzag to stitch the edges of the soaker pad to the inner fabric.
5. You should have 2 main pants pieces – one in the outer fabric, and one in the inner fabric. Start with the outer fabric: stitch the hip seam (both sides), with right sides together. Repeat for the inner fabric.
6. Stitch the waistband so that it forms a circle, by stitching the ends together. I find that with the rib knit this is easiest to do with a shallow zigzag stitch. Fold this waistband in half lengthwise.
7. Match up the right sides of the outer and inner fabric together, and in between them sandwich the waistband between them. Pin. Stitch, but leave a 2cm gap at the waistband seam.
8. Measure a length of 3/4″ elastic to fit your child’s waist. Insert your elastic band through the gap in the seam (you can use a safety pin to feed it through the length of the waistband). Use a zigzag stitch to close the loop formed by the elastic. Stitch the gap closed.
9. Turn the pants inside out (through the leg opening)
10. Stitch the leg bands into loops, with right sides together. Fold them in half lengthwise. Stitch the edges of the folded leg band to the leg openings, right sides together. Leave a gap where the elastic will be inserted.
11. Measure your child’s upper thigh for the elastic measurement. Cut 2 lengths of 1/4″ elastic and feed each through the leg band casings. Stitch the ends closed and then sew the gap closed. Trim the seam and zigzag over the edges. (Or, if you are fortunate enough to have an overlocker, you can use that).
12. That’s about it! Put them on your child, and give yourself a pat on the back!
Go ahead and try it out, then let me know how you got on! I’m looking forward to hearing your comments.